HOLIDAY WELLNESS: VEGAN TURMERIC LATTE
Posted on November 17 2017
/ IMAGE VIA HELLOGLOW
Is the the weather outside frightful? And the fire...so delightful? Amidst all things holiday & cozy, we suggest embracing activities that make the holidays a bit warmer: such as Hygge! Contrary to popular belief, this Danish trend doesn’t revolve solely around fuzzy socks and firesides. It’s meant to acknowledge a feeling or a moment, whether alone or with friends, at home or out, ordinary or extraordinary as cozy, charming or special.
It’s definitely worth a try!
We love to incorporate cruelty-free ways to enjoy every aspect of the year and of course, the holidays are no different. When fused with wellness, you get the feel-good beverage of the year (and no we’re not referring to champagne…)
/ IMAGE VIA HEAVENLYNN HEALTHY
Turmeric Lattes, a.k.a., Golden Milk Teas, are delicious and a seasonally-appropriate way to add wellness to your hygge experience. Try making this vegan version (detailed below) for a tasty treat on cool winter nights. Not only is it packed with ingredients that reduce inflammation, increase heart health and improve overall digestion, but it also creates a combined sweet & spicy flavor, reminiscent of a vegan chai tea latte.
Read on for how you can make your own at home...
/ IMAGE VIA DEARCRISSY
1 cup almond milk (unsweetened regular or vanilla)
1 tbsp maple syrup
1/4 tsp ground turmeric
1/4 tsp ground ginger (or sub 1-2 tsp freshly-grated ginger, to taste)
1 cinnamon stick (or sub 1/8 tsp ground cinnamon)
A pinch of freshly-ground black pepper
1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp coconut oil (optional)
A small sauce pan
A fine mesh strainer
A frother (optional)
- Set a small saucepan over low heat. Add the almond milk, maple syrup, turmeric, ginger, cinnamon stick, and black pepper. Stir with a whisk until combined.
- Bring to steaming, just below a simmer. Do not let it come to a boil. Keep just below a simmer, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes.
- Remove from heat. Remove the cinnamon stick. If you added other spices that need to be strained out, strain using a fine mesh strainer then return to the pan. Stir in the vanilla extract and coconut oil (if using). Taste and add additional maple syrup if desired.
- Use a frother to froth up the mixture, if desired. Pour into a mug and spoon the froth over the top.
- Serve in your favorite holiday mug!